WELCOME TO 11TH GRADE HUMANITIES!!!
- Think critically about what the function of education is
- Begin to get oriented to Humanities 11
1. Let's help the new Ospreys feel welcome!
- Why did you choose Animas? OR What are you excited about?
- What is something that is confusing you, disturbing you, or amazing you about life in America right now?
2. Who am I, Jessica, your teacher? Questions for me?
3. A note on junior year: Best year of your life so far?
- "There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so." --Hamlet
- THIS IS YOUR EDUCATION!!! We are going to be doing this together.
~ Henry David Thoreau
Read and annotate "The Function of Education" by Krishnamurti (Seminar reading #1)
- Put your name on the reading
- Read as much of the reading as you can. Mark quotes that stand out to you as thought-provoking, interesting, inspiring or with which you strongly disagree.
- Try to identify the author's thesis: What does Krishnamurti claim the purpose of education is?
- Be prepared to share your selections and make meaning together.
"The Function of Education": Spirit Read
1. Everyone participates at least once. You can speak more than once.
2. Read a word, phrase, or sentence.
3. No commentary or opinions.
4. When possible, try to connect with what was just read.
5. Give all voices a chance.
6. Pauses can be powerful.
7. Repeating words and phrases is fine.
AFTER: Jot down key takeaways that answer this question: What ideas from this reading would you like to apply to our own class culture (how we treat each other, how this class is run, etc...? Or, if there are certain ideas that did not resonate with you, feel free to jot down those ideas that you DON’T want to be a part of this class culture. This reading will be one of several core texts for a seminar we are going to have on Monday of next week.
SYLLABUS AND OTHER BUSINESS
Interested in Honors? Please read over my HONORS SYLLABUS as homework. You will notice that you have a reading for this week. There are hard copies at the table near the door. If you are in, complete the reading and corresponding questions and join me for the meeting on Monday!
What materials do you need for this class? (Please recycle from the pile!) Where do we put our stuff?
Bookmark my webpage!
Digital Comp Book Set-up
1. Create a new Google doc and name it: FirstName LastName Digital Comp Book
2. Share the document with me at email@example.com. Make sure you give me editing power!
3. Each entry should be labeled so that it is clear to me which entry goes with which prompt.
5. You are responsible for all starters and entries, even if you are absent
6. Feel free to add images, links, and other digital content in your responses!
7. Chat with me if you prefer to keep your comp book on the Earth instead of in the Cloud.
TO-DO (by Monday)
- Review my syllabus and have your parents review it. Return the attached letter signed.
- Tell me a little bit about you
- Set up your Digital Comp Book
- Honors ONLY: Send me an email that answers the question: Why Honors?